I AM AN AWESOME PEOPLE MANAGER
And, despite resisting it my entire career (what’s up English majors), I am a phenomenal teacher.
To give someone the gift of self discovery and actualization is not only a gift to them, but to all of us who share in the global community. Helping others be their best is the ultimate public service. It’s also the key to immortality, lasting legacy, and sustainable change.
MY 3 BIGGEST LIFE LESSONS
- You don’t need anyone (an organization, person, or boss) to give you permission to live the life you want. Other people will try to put you in a box, but it’s an illusion. Don’t fall for it. you are in control and you don’t need anyone’s permission to use your skills and gifts to accomplish a better or more contented life.
- Always give with the attitude that you won’t get anything in return. If you cannot afford to do that, then you are giving too much. When you start living in the land of self sacrificing/playing the martyr, it’s time to just say NO, if for no other reason that to protect your own sanity.
- Love and commitment are not the same thing. To love someone or something (job/career) is to give of yourself for their benefit and on their terms. Love is about making someone or something else feel protected, appreciated, and worthy of receiving all the blessings afforded to them in this life. Commitment is about you. Commitment is the challenge you take on to test your own resilience and patience for another’s process in becoming all they can be, and living up to that potential. Love is easy. Commitment is hard.
I’M INSPIRED BY:
Modern psychology, time with my kids, reading well crafted books that are both art and activism all at once, dancers, and beautiful places that have existed before I have, and will exist long after I do not.
Public speaking, inspiring true leadership, helping others be brave, making a noticeable difference in someone’s life trajectory.
STUFF I’M SUPER PROUD I DID
- Managed 23 franchise locations across 3 states
- Created leadership training programs for first time managers
- Designed and led a management study group for career transitioners and entrepreneurs
- Crafted an operations quality assessment rubric for a network of 3 dozen sites across the 5 boroughs of New York City
- Wrote a multidimensional core competency rubric for a mid size organization
- Led communication workshops at some really cool finance, tech, and non profit firms
- Served 1 year in Americorps as a caseworker
- Managed an after school program
- Bought 2 investment properties before I was 25
- Incorporated and owned 3 businesses
- Had 2 awesome kids!
MORE ABOUT MY PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND IN THE CV (If you like that kind of stuff).